Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Loving what is...

There are many names for the practice of loving what is - non-judgement, emptiness, acceptance, patience... This my time here, all 72 hours, is helping experience it at new levels. I'm witnessing vulnerability in many forms. The children that fill my day from 8:30-6:45 were born into the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, with mental, physical, and/or emotional challenges, and then abandoned by their families. Clique or no, the kids here are truly treasures. I'm delighted over and over by their quick wits, highly developed survival instincts, and willingness to love. The more I spend time with them, the more I want to be with them. (My clothes would probably report otherwise. My current favorite modern invention is the hepatitis shot!)


We've had large groups from the States come though to tour and help feed the kids a meal each day. Malika, Estephania, and I have been very impressed at the show the kids put on when they know visitors are there. Kids who can feed themselves and move their own wheel chairs are suddenly "helpless" with the biggest, beautifulest, brown eyes ever.


The electricity has been on and off all day so I might not get pictures up until tomorrow...
Bon rev zanmi mwen!

No comments:

Post a Comment